Penang CM orders stop work on MMC-Gamuda double tracking project

By Regina William

The Penang state government has issued a stop work order on the RM12.485 billion MMC-Gamuda JV Sdn Bhd double tracking project.

Chief Minister and DAP Secretary-General Lim Guan Eng said on Friday, Nov 12 the stop work order will be in force until MMC Gamuda fulfills certain assurances sought by the state government following floods in Kedah which have been attributed to the double-tracking project.

Both the Housing and Local Government minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha and Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Razak had been quoted saying the double tracking project had worsened the floodings in the state.

"These statements are not politically motivated and non-partisan as both sides of the divide have expressed the same views.

"We want assurances with attached conditions from MMC Gamuda that they will be willing to break any part of the tracks which prevents the flow of the flood waters.

"They must also bear full responsibility and all costs if that happens," Lim said at a press conference in the presence of the project officials.

This is not the first instance where MMC Gamuda has run into problems with the state government.

Previously, a flooding incident and failure to pay its development fees to the local authorities also resulted in several stop work orders being issued. The project started on Jan 8, 2008.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not terrorize Penang, Perak, Kedah and Selangor : Umno told

Umno, jangan berlagak seperti Tuhan!